Good spinal alignment means good biomechanical health. Essentially, your spine is the biomechanical center of your body. Your legs are connected to your spine via two large and strong pelvic bones ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 11-08-2011
1. Go for a walk even when the weather is really cold - your body has to work overtime to get warm and you may burn up to 50% more calories than you would on the same walk in summer! But remember, go a little slower until you get warm and keep up the hydration.
2. If you find it hard to get motivated to exercise in winter…just think of spring and how much harder it is to get back into shape rather than maintain your fitness throughout the winter.
3. Be aware of tendonitis and stress fracture if you don't exercise in winter and expect to pick up where you left off after a whole winter with no exercise.
4. Instead of picking up a cup of hot chocolate to keep yourself warm, try a herbal beverage.
5. Develop an interest in indoor sports as opposed to cycling and jogging outdoors. Don't forget that swimming at an indoor pool is an option for a great cardio workout!
6. Cold air and indoor heaters can dry out your skin. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water each day and use moisturizers throughout winter.
7. Buy some indoor plants to soften up the dry atmosphere caused through heating. Indoor plants give off moisture and oxygen and the colors will brighten up a dull day outside.
8. Wear the right clothes when exercising in winter. Polypropylene is the perfect fabric to wear underneath a tracksuit, which will provide great insulation but minimize moisture loss. Gore-Tex is a fabric used widely for providing protection from the rain and wind.
9. Caught a cold or flu? If the infection is above the neck (nose, throat) you could be OK to complete a low intensity workout. However, if you have symptoms that are worse than an average cold (chest congestion, muscle aches), exercise will only make you worse and delay your recovery. Rest is the best approach.
10. Keep your immune system in peak condition with regular wellness visits to your chiropractor. Not getting sick in the first place so you can continue your normal exercise through the winter is much better than having to battle back from an extended absence.
The best way to get answers to your questions is to ask us. You can give us a call during business hours or Email the Doctor.
To make an appointment, call the main office phone number at 703-721-0500 or use the Request an Appointment button below to submit an online request.
Bodnar Chiropractic Center
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.