Spring is arriving. The days are getting longer, the air is fresher, and the sunlight is brighter. Flowers and bushes are beginning to bloom. Tree sap is running and there are new baby animals in ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 01-02-2012
You can get your bicycle helmet in different sizes, just like a hat. Once you've got the proper size, there are a few steps to take to ensure it fits your head correctly for the safest ride.
1. Measure your head to get an idea of the appropriate size, and ask the specialist at the bike shop for a helmet. Place the helmet on top of your head and ensure it doesn't move from side to side. Most new helmets include sizing pads to help make sure it fits securely. You can move and exchange the pads to make it as comfortable as possible. For children's helmets, you may wish to remove the padding as he or she grows. If your helmet includes a "universal fit ring", you will be able to adjust the ring for a good fit.
2. Ensure the helmet rests in a level position on your head, and that you can place one or two fingers between your eyebrow and the helmet.
3. The left buckle should be centered under the chin. You can usually pull the chin straps from the back to either shorten or lengthen them. You may wish to do this with the helmet off to make it easier.
4. You'll want the straps to create a V shape in front of and slightly below the ears.
5. Buckle the chinstrap fairly snugly, and tighten so that you can place one finger under the strap. If you open your mouth wide, the helmet should pull down on your head. If it doesn't, you need to tighten the chinstrap.
6. If the helmet slips back more than two fingers above your eyebrow, shorten the front strap and test it again. If it slips forward towards the eyes, tighten the back strap and re-buckle. Finally, all four straps need to go through the rubber band to prevent the buckle from slipping.
Keep in mind:
The best way to get answers to your questions is to ask us. You can give us a call during business hours or Email the Doctor.
To make an appointment, call the main office phone number at 703-721-0500 or use the Request an Appointment button below to submit an online request.
Bodnar Chiropractic Center
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.